Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring Break - Part One

This day held one of the most beautiful experiences and one of the most heartbreaking experiences of my life.  We took off after school on Friday and stopped once we got to Oklahoma City we stopped.  On Saturday morning we got up and had a lovely(not) hotel breakfast, and then we headed off to the Oklahoma City Memorial.  It felt odd to stand in the exact spot where a bomb exploded and changed so many lives in the span of one minute.  At either end of the reflecting pool are arches marked with 9:01 and 9:03...the minutes on either side of the blast.  It was horrible to see all the chairs and know each one had been made for a specific person...little chairs for the children who died that day in the FBI's daycare facility.  There were many things tied into the fence by so many people who have visited the memorial.  We left our mark and said a little prayer.  My heart was hurt and I needed some joy before we left this city.














I found it at the Oklahoma Museum of Art.  As everyone know I am fairly obsessed with rainbows or anything brightly colored.  The museum has the largest collection of Dal Chiluly Glass.  My mom brought me a postcard of this glass from LasVegas, I saw small pieces at a conference in San Antonio, but nothing...I mean NOTHING...could have prepared me for the treasures in this building.


   This is the piece that is just inside the front door.  It stretches several stories into the sky.  It is made with the most delicate pieces of blown glass.  I sat for a moment when the elevator opened on the floor containing all this beauty and watched a video on the man who creates it.  He is an odd little man with a patch over one eye, but he sees in rainbows.  He sees the same way I do.  His art speaks directly to the most basic parts of me...the child in me that still gets giddy when overpowered by color! Enjoy!
to the moon and back,
Sarah









Add caption






No comments:

Post a Comment