Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Greatest Gift - Journal Your Christmas 2012

I received so many well thought out gifts over the years, but the ones that mean the most to me are the ones thought up by my precious Bug.  Last year was easily my favorite.  I have an obsession with "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," more specifically the Bumble.  I love him...I love that he is the villain of an amazing holiday tale...I love that a crazy peppermint miner discovers the issue with the monster...I love that the elf who really wants to be a dentist heals him...I love that by the end of the story the Bumble is a meek...lovable giant.
Any time I see a Bumble I giggle like a child.  It transports me to a time when my life was much more simple.  A time when I could simply watch a program and get lost in the spirit of the season.  Last year I was renting a video at Blockbuster and I saw a display of Bobble-heads.  To my delight they were Rudolph themed Bobbles.  They had Rudolph, Hermey, Yukon Cornelius...and the Bumble.  I was positively giddy.  The bug was with me and watched my very childish display.  I had every plan of returning to buy that bobbley head for myself, but at the time I was having chemo every week and spent more time than not feeling very crummy.  I never made it back to that store and it put a small damper on my holiday spirit.  
We have a tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve.  This Christmas Eve the Bug chose my gift for me.  I usually let her choose.  It was a small box, but she always gets it right so i was very excited.  I had only torn a corner of the paper and I knew she had nailed my gift yet again.  I started ripping the paper, and revealed my very own Bumble Bobble.  I mean just try saying that without smiling.  The Christmas season came to a close, but I could not bear to put my Bumble away.  I didn't put him in a box with all our other decorations.  I chose to place him on a special shelf in my kitchen.  I know he is a  "holiday" decoration, but having him out where I can see him all the time makes me happy.  I do not look at him every day...I may go weeks and not notice his bobbley head looking down at me...but when I do see him...I am reminded of the child who loves me so unconditionally.  The child who watched her mother geek out over a bobble head and went back with her own money to make a Christmas dream come true.  
Rudolph is on tonight...I will watch with the Bug...maybe take down my Bumble...I will enjoy one of my holiday traditions with my precious child!!!!

To the Moon and Back,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment